In honor of this coming Sunday’s stateside premier of Season 5 of my new favorite show.
1. It makes cleaning more fun, or at least more exciting. My heart’s a lot more in making beds and dusting if I pretend I’m a housemaid (preferably a nice one with a happy story, like Gwen) or imagine that Mr. Carson will be inspecting.
2. It gives me an alternate family, co-workers, and social circle. It’s such a fleshed-out world, crowded with characters–like a Dickens novel or the Harry Potter universe. So if I get tired of the people I’m around, which occasionally happens, I can just go to Downton.
3. It helps me brush up on my knowledge a period of British history I’ve neglected. Oh…they had the Roaring Twenties too?
4. It makes me appreciate my sister and my mom. Not only because I watch the show with them, but also because they’re not Mary, Edith, or Cora. Thank goodness.
5. It’s got some of the most crush-worthy men on television. Good-looking, capable, smart, upwardly mobile yet humble. If only they could all stay alive.*
*This is not a spoiler for those still catching up, because it’s extremely veiled. Speaking of spoilers, if you’ve already seen Season 5, please be courteous and don’t write any devastating comments.